If you are looking to change from F1 to H-1B, it is important that you comply with the USCIS rules that set limits on the total days of unemployment during a period of authorized OPT. We see that a lot of OPT students that join us have a confusion on these rules, so here is a summary.
- During your initial 12-month OPT, you are allowed a maximum of 90 days of unemployment.
- If you get a STEM extension of 17 months, you will get an additional 30 days of unemployment for a total of 120 days over their entire post-completion OPT period (12 + 17 months).
- Employment means you have to work for atleast 20 hrs a week.
- All the days that you are not employed (including the weekends/holidays during this period of unemployment) will count towards your quota.
- All employment will have to be thru a E-verified employer.
We have a number of students that joined us, got trained and placed over the years. A lot of them are now on H-1B, enjoying successful careers. We have years of experience handling F1, H1B and Greecard candidates, and are supported by excellent immigration attorneys. You can find out more by clicking here if you are interested in joining us.